There are so many great weekend getaways that are a short drive from Austin. Salado, Texas is one of those towns. At the heart of it is the Stagecoach Inn, a historic Texas hotel that feels like a tropical oasis.
Disclaimer: The Salado Inn hosted me overnight in exchange for an honest review of their hotel and restaurant. All opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support this blog!
Recently, I made a trip 45-ish minutes north to check out the Stagecoach Inn in Salado, Tx. I didn’t go alone though…
I dragged along one of my good friends, Rachel (you might know from her amazing blog, Rachel Lately). I haven’t seen her since pre-Covid, so it was a fun time for us to catch up and relax.
Read This: Best Road Trips from Austin, Texas
Since the Stagecoach Inn is dog-friendly, I also brought along Louie, my little mini-schnauzer mix. He was surprisingly so well behaved!
Rachel gave him a piece of her steak at dinner. So now they’re pretty much BFFs. More details on that later…
Staying at the Stagecoach Inn
The Stagecoach Inn is located in Salado, Texas, which is just a short 45 minute drive north of Austin.
We booked our visit during the week, so the town and hotel was a bit quieter than normal– even given the current situation. I very much enjoyed that as I’m still not comfortable being around many strangers.
We did plenty of poolside chilling at the Stagecoach Inn. It’s where Rachel and I caught up on all that’s happened in our lives since the shelter-in-place started way back in March.
And it was a lot.
I’m sure we aren’t the only ones who feel like the beginning of this pandemic was ages ago! But also, at the same time, it weirdly feels like yesterday… #trippy
Speaking of, the Stagecoach Inn in Salado has Covid-19 Regulations in place to keep all staff and visitors safe. This is what they are doing:
- Masks are required when you walk around the property and at the restaurant.
- All staff, housekeeping, and grounds crew wore masks.
- Contactless check-in is available.
- Dine outside at the Stagecoach Inn Restaurant, or have your meal delivered to your room. Take out is also available.
- You can relax outside with your own private patio.
- Or hang out poolside at their spacious outdoor heated pool.
Amenities at the Stagecoach Inn
- Pet friendly- no breed restrictions, two dog maximum, $50/dog.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free onsite parking
- Heated pool with poolside service
- Seven acres of lush greenery and native Texas plants surrounding your hotel room and the property
About the Rooms at Stagecoach Inn
The Stagecoach Inn features 48 beautifully restored and renovated rooms and suites. Each space is thoughtfully appointed with simple furnishings and exclusive, deluxe amenities including:
- Sferra bed linens
- Turkish cotton bath towels
- Red Flower bath products
- Private patios with butterfly chairs and rustic tables
- Complimentary Richard’s Rainwater
- Illy coffee makers in room
- Salado Bar Soap by Austin artisan Noah Marion
- 100% cotton robes and bedspreads designed exclusively for Stagecoach Inn (The best part in my opinion!)
- Smart TVs in every room
Rachel and I stayed in Room 103 on the first floor with two queen beds. We had a lovely patio with wraparound fencing covered in vines. It felt secluded and tropical. I kept telling Rachel, “Girl, it feels like we’re in Cancún or something!”
Our room had very hip mid-century vibes. From the brick-colored tiled floors, wood paneling, and vintage travel posters, it was so my aesthetic~
At the Stagecoach Inn, Pool Time is the Best Time
The pool at Stagecoach Inn was one of our favorite parts during our stay. If I could sit by this pool all day, every day for the rest of my life, I think I would be fine with that…
Read This: 17 Cool Products to Keep Drinks Cold All Summer Long
The large, heated pool has dozens of lounge chairs around the grassy pool deck. There are also plenty of tropical and lush plants to keep you shaded while you drink your hibiscus margarita.
Dining at the Stagecoach Inn’s Onsite Restaurant
Dine on the patio at the Stagecoach Inn Restaurant or have lunch, dinner, and/or brunch delivered to your room. For full menus, visit this website.
Here are some of the menu items we ordered. And definitely swipe through the photos below to see what we ate and drank!
- 1861 Hushpuppies with Whipped Honey Butter
- Watermelon Cucumber Tomato Salad with Watermelon, Cucumber, Heirloom Tomatoes, and a Balsamic Reduction
- Roasted Chicken Breast with Chimichurri Sauce, Sweet Corn and Barley, and Charred Tomatoes
- 8 oz. Bourbon Mushroom Sirloin with Bourbon Mushrooms and Pearl Onions, and Garlic Mashed Potatoes
What to Do in Salado, Texas
Centrally located between Waco and Austin in the heart of Texas, Salado, has been an important area for Texans for centuries.
Read This: The Complete List of Austin-Area Breweries and Brewpubs
The Stagecoach Inn is at the center of downtown Salado. You’ll find that the hotel is centrally located to all the fun things to do in Salado, Tx. Many are just a quick walk away from your hotel door.
- A must stop is Barrow Brewing Company. Grab a beer and head down to the water to dip your toes in Salado Creek.
- You can also check out the mermaid statue on the shores of the Salado Creek. (It sits on the hotel side of the creek, not the brewery side)
- Cool off in the water either in town at Salado Creek, or 10 miles away at Chalk Ridge Falls Park.
- Visit Salado Glassworks or Ro Shaw Clay Studio for classes and locally made art pieces.
- End the afternoon with live music at Johnny’s Outback.
Now it’s your turn to plan your weekend trip to Salado, Tx…
Have questions? Drop them below and I’ll try to help. And as always, if you found this post helpful, please share it with a friend!